Expectations

At a complete loss for inspiration this week, I decided to find a quote in Gatsby and analyze it to the best of my ability.

"Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it" ( Fitzgerald 13).

This quote from Daisy not only said a lot about Daisy's character, but it also spoke to me. I related to what she was saying here. Literally, this quote means that Daisy looks forward to one day a year and then forgets about that day when it actually arrives, kind of like what happens to me when all of my friends' birthdays arrive. I know the date, but never realize that its that day when it comes. But at a deeper meaning, I think this quote has more to do with expectations and fulfillment and applies to a lot more people than just Daisy.

Image result for expectations meme"

We all expect too much from each other and the world. You look forward to one thing for an extended period of time with a lot of hope and expectations. The event may even go exactly how it's supposed to. Yet, you are still left with a feeling of disappointment because you wanted the event to be spectacular, better than what you knew was going to happen. I know that this has happened to me multiple times. Every year, I look forward to events like the first day of the school year, troy daze, and homecoming. Every year I go on thinking, this year is going to be so much more fun, so much better than the last. What do I get, the same old same old. This keeps happening to all of us just because of the fact that with wait and time, we all build expectations. Basically, and very pessimistically, we see that in most cases having high expectations just leads to disappointment.

Comments

  1. I can't even list all the times I've built up my hopes for an event and then just forget or completely miss it. The amount of times I fell asleep and completely missed a party or similar is astounding. However, I also really liked how you connected with Daisy because till this point I really thought it would be borderline impossible to relate to her (e.g being able to wear a pearl necklace without feeling guilty to some extent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Having high expectations for something can seem positive at first but will most of the time end up not meeting them. I never really thought of this when first reading through this quote so this post opened my eyes to something new.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts